Friday 16 December 2011

Christmas Is Coming

Well I have been doing really well recently and I am finally getting the hang of things. I returned from Scotland after finishing some root treatment only to find that a small piece of filling has come loose. Not too much and not enough to cause any discomfort but nevertheless something that needs seeing to. Well surprise, surprise there are now no dentists in Civray according to Yugette (or Hugette as I have found her name to be spelled). The nearest one is in Charroux and so off I cycled to Charroux. (I could have 'phoned I know but my French is not good enough for a 'phone call - better face-to-face!). It was about 9 kilometres away and I took the quiet roads. Needless to say, I was too early (it being lunch time) and had to have a drink in the Tabac!!! Oh dear! Anyway, they were too busy for the forseeable future and I was directed to Romagne or Ruffec. I decided on Ruffec as it was easier to get to and decided that it could wait for another day.

I cycled back home and left it at that. Anyway, to cut a long story short....I ended up arranging an appointment in Ruffec for the 25th January!!!! It is a long time away but I thought that I would need to start getting into the system here in France sooner or later so I went for it!

I have had a great time visiting my next door neighbours - René and Hugette. On both occasions along with Jean-Pierre (my other neighbour), I have had a pleasant wee natter for an hour or so with a wee glass or two. I have been feeling part of the scene and it has been great.

Place François Mitterand

Car Park At Rue Victor Hugo

The bad weather back in Scotland was to catch up with us last night however. Instead of Hurricane Bawbags it was Le Tempête Joachim (dusnae huv the same ring tae it???). It was pretty bad and caused some tiles to move on the roof and water to start coming into the kitchen and the upstairs back room. I had to go up to Savigné and visit M Girdau to arrange a repair. I also had to visit the insurers to see if I was covered. I was but there was an excess of 280€. Ah well!

Flooded River From Place François Mitterand

Looking Towards Pont Des Barres

The town was showing signs of the damage done by the storm and also the River Charente itself was in full flow - much changed from the gentle flowing river of a few weeks before.

Water Rising From Pont Des Barres!

Looking Towards L'Eglise From Rue A. Ravarit


House By The Grand Pont From Boulevard Carnot

Anyway I had a wee coffee in the Tabac and and popped into the Café de la Paix for a kir before ma lunch. I began to read La Nouvelle République and caught sight of the obituaries (it is ma age!!!). Someone called René Roucher had died! It couldn't be??? No, there it was. René Roucher.....wife Hugette.......80 years old.......

I went to La Maison de la Presse (paper shop) to buy a copy of the paper and hurried up tae Jean-Pierre's. Yes it was true! I didn't know what to say. I mean, it takes me all my time to speak in French anyway! I left him to go to my house and Hugette came out of hers... I mumbled my condolences and exchanged kisses. She introduced me to her two sisters and I showed her the intimation in La Nouvelle République. It was a consolation it seemed..... I muttered something about René being such a fine, good and kind man, and then went home.

Place Gambetta - Love Me Tender!!!

Fed up with things, I went back down to town and had a meal in the Tabac followed by a few drinks in the Central Bar. The next hour was punctuated by some entertainment provided by the local pompiers trying to dismantle a TV aerial which had been partiallly blown down in the storm. It was attracting a lot of interest before being successfully completed as the evening light began to fail.

Haud Oan!!
Leaving the bar, I was approached by Jean-Pierre and I returned once more to the warmth of the bar where we joined with others in remembering our departed friend.......

Place Leclerc - Christmas Lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment