Wednesday 16 November 2011

A New Adventure

Well it's the start of another adventure. This time in France. This time for longer.



In early October the deed was done, the papers were signed and the furniture was unloaded and hastily arranged in my new hoose in Civray. It had been an uneventful journey from Scotland, stopping off in Ashford, Kent before an early morning EuroTunnel Shuttle and the journey down through France to Vienne. The weather was glorious and after signing a ream of papers, I was the owner of a 2 bedroom town house close to the centre of the pretty town of Civray.



It has been five weeks since then and I have been kept busy adjusting to my new life:
  • arranging my bank accounts and money transfers
  • arranging my house insurance
  • arranging my direct debits for electricity, telephone / internet, and water / sewerage
  • arranging and taking delivery of logs for the winter
It sounds easy enough but I had great help from my estate agent Chris, and my new neighbours René and Yugette. Without them I would still be floundering around in a daze.



Civray has everything you could ask for. All the services that you need; shops, supermarkets, church, doctors, dentists, bars, restaurants, hotels. It is in a beautiful situation on the banks of the River Charente amid the lovely Vienne countryside.

The early days were spent like a holiday before the reality set in....... I was now a resident of France! Initial visits from family left me with the business of settling in to a new life getting to know my surroundings and the practicalities of life in this lovely part of the Poitou-Charentes.



Transport basically involved my bicycles and local buses and trains. The latter two methods are a rarity and take a bit of planning to use.
There is a bus service - Monday to Friday - between Civray and Poitiers. It costs 6€ each way but if I buy a carnet of ten tickets the price comes down to 4.20€. Something I'll have to consider.

There is also a train service from the nearby Gare at St Saviol bringing Angouleme and Poitiers itself within reach. The four kilometres to St Saviol has to be undertaken by bicycle or - I have still to try - taxi. I have cycled to the station and it is no more than a half hour away. In repect of the trains, I will have to buy a Carte Avantage which for 20€ a year gives me the benefit of 25% off fares Monday - Friday; and 50% off fares Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. (I think?).



The furnishings are now all assembled and in place - though there remains some things still to be bought. A priority is a kitchen table and Ikea in Tours will need a visit sooner or later. I have chairs but no table!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment